Optimum natural fertility depends upon excellent general health, which can only be attained when our body’s metabolic processes are nourished and well balanced. This is where the liver comes in.
The liver is one of the most important organs in the body because it governs approximately 500 metabolic processes to ensure optimum health and fertility. These are categorized into nine main ones and include:
- carbohydrate metabolism — assisting to maintain blood sugar levels;
- fat metabolism and cholesterol balance;
- protein metabolism including disposing of and re-making blood as well as other body building blocks;
- storage of blood;
- bile salts production to assist digestion;
- storage of vitamins (A, D, E, K, B, C) and minerals (iron, potassium, copper, zinc);
- production of heat, breakdown and elimination of hormones essential for hormonal balance and detoxification.
Look After your Liver like it Looks After You
The liver is the largest human internal organ and one of the few capable of natural regeneration — as little as 25% of remaining liver can regenerate into a whole liver again. Ensuring the liver has what is required for optimum function is essential for peak general health and fertility.
The way of ensuring optimum liver function is the same as the approach used to help couples overcome infertility to have a healthy baby, it includes a low toxin lifestyle: a healthy, liver cleansing diet; no coffee or alcohol consumption; avoidance of chemicals, recreational substances, smoking and any other things which have been shown to negatively affect general heath as well as adding in other things which can be beneficial — such as the recipe I share with you below.
Liver Detox Recipe
The Whole Lemon Drink is a recipe that was shared with me by my esteemed colleague and author, Peter De Ruyter. It’s simple and it tastes great. Lemon often plays a role in any natural liver detox. For improved health, fertility and digestion, all you have to do is drink the lemon drink twice daily. The other great thing about this natural health and fertility boost is that it is completely safe during the pre-conception period. In addition, whether you are pregnant or trying to conceive naturally, or via assisted methods such as IUI, IVF, ICSI—you can continue this healthy ritual.
The Whole Lemon Drink is ideal for:
- Assisting with hormonal balance
- Enhanced immune function
- Liver health
- Nourishing and strengthening cells and cell membranes
- Improving and normalising digestive health
Whole Lemon Drink Recipe
1 whole organic lemon, well scrubbed to remove any wax or residues
1 1/2 cup filtered water
1-3 dessertspoons coconut oil or preferably liquid fish oil
1 heaped dessertspoon lecithin (egg based if possible) or a raw fresh, organic egg if you are not pregnant, trying to conceive or are a man
1 capsule of vitamin E (whole into the blender)
1 knob of fresh ginger (approximately golf ball size)
Cut lemon into small pieces, combine all ingredients and blend for 30-45 seconds. Strain and discard the pulp. Consume 1/2 of the liquid before or with breakfast and the rest for dinner.
Store the remainder in a clean glass container in the fridge. Ideally the glass container should be as full of the drink as possible to decrease the amount of air, which speeds up oxidation. Always consume the total amount within 24 hours to prevent rancidity and too much oxidation.
Some of the health and liver benefits of the Whole Lemon Drink (observed in over 20 years of clinical practice):
- It decreases blood acidity and alkalises the system – despite lemon juice being acidic;
- The oils provide essential fatty acids that boost immune function, benefit cell integrity, and improve skin health (resolving dryness), etc;
- The D-limonene in the lemon peel has anti-cancer properties;
- The pectin in the lemon helps to emulsify oils and chelate toxins from the bowel
- Lemon peel contains oligomeric proanthocyanidins (OPCs) – powerful antioxidants with antihistamine effects;
- Lecithin acts on healing and detoxifying the liver (it’s wonderful to address fatty liver) and nervous system (peripheral neuropathy) as well as the kidneys and brain, and enhances fat absorption;
- Lecithin helps normalise cholesterol and triglycerides;
- The choline in the lecithin and the oils in the citrus skin glands help liver detoxification pathways to work more effectively;
- The drink helps decrease swollen glands, increases energy, as well as lift depression and anxiety;
- It helps with insomnia and increases the appetite (only when it is poor);
- It assists in weight normalisation;
- It frequently raises CD4 cell counts (fighting cells of the immune system);
- It helps to decrease tumour necrosis factor (TNF), inflammation and wasting.
One amazing brew – cheap, simple, safe, and effective!